Indiana University Northwest

Calumet Regional Archives Logo
Patron Use Rules for Manuscript Collections
Policy on Access & Use

IU Northwest Library

Contact Us
Meet our Staff
Our Calendar
Calumet Regional Archives Home
IU Northwest Home
Having trouble accessing the content on this page?

Calumet Regional Archives

red line
CRA048 -- The Hobart Collection


1.00 Linear Feet
April 1986
Revised September 1992, May 1994, January 1995, October 1996, February 1998, October 1999, May 2000, July 2002, September 2002, April 2008, April 2016, January 2018, August 2018


Property rights in the collection are held by the Calumet Regional Archives; literary rights are dedicated to the public. There are no restrictions on access to the collection.

Linear feet of shelf space: 1.00 linear foot
No. of containers: 1 box
Calumet Regional Archives CRA 048

Processed by: Tim Beverly
Date: August 1986

Scope and Content

These records help to document the history of Hobart, Indiana. They cover the period in Hobart from 1913 forward. Two booklets, A Brief History of Hobart, Indiana and A History of Hobart for Third Grade Pupils, summarize most of Hobart's history from its first inhabitants up to the 1970's. A pamphlet about the history of Hobart's post offices and postmasters describes the beginning of the post offices and lists every post master in Hobart from 1847 to 1974. A pamphlet about the "Old Settlers's Cemetery" in Hobart gives a brief origin of the cemetery and a listing of some people who are buried there.

There is a pamphlet on George Earle, the founder of Hobart and how he came up with the name. There are also some reports on land use in Hobart. These reports give plans and outlines for present and future needs and functions of land for Hobart.

Also in this collection are issues of the "Hobart History Advocate" newspapers which discuss things going on in the community and a pamphlet celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Central Baptist Church. Also there is a pamphlet giving information about the Hobart Township Bilingual Program. Additionally, there is a newsletter from the Hobart Historical Society concerning community activities.

Historical Sketch

Hobart’s founder, George Earle, was born in Falmouth, Cornwall, England, February 5, 1807. He was an architect and builder practicing his trade in Falmouth and later in London. He came with his wife Mary to Philadelphia in the U.S. in 1835 to fulfill a contract to build brick houses, bringing the brick with him from England. Through some friends, George became interested in the town of Liverpool in Western Indiana. One of his friends, John Chapman had earlier purchased land in the area from the U.S. Government under Andrew Jackson and the chief of the Potawatomi Indian tribe in 1836. Earle bought the town and other land, in total about 3,000 acres, in what is now East Gary and Hobart. He then proceeded to develop Liverpool.

Earle was involved in a three town battle for the designation of county seat. Although in 1839 Liverpool won it, the county seat was moved to Crown Point in 1840. Earle decided Liverpool would not prosper so he elected a site further up the river to develop. In 1845 he moved to a new location five miles southeast on Deep River. He built a dam across Deep River and constructed a saw mill in 1846. He became postmaster the following year. In 1848 he laid out the plat of lots for his new town. It was signed and recorded by Earle on May 3, 1849. The name "Hobart" was chosen in memory of his brother, Frederick Hobart Earle.

Mr. and Mrs. George Earle moved back to Philadelphia in 1872. He was in England when he became ill with a cold and returned to "Hobart" when he died, January 22, 1876, of a stroke. He and his wife Mary, who died ten years later, are both buried in the Hobart Cemetery.

When George had left Hobart, his son John stayed in Hobart for about fifteen years, conducting his father's business as a general broker, lending money and dealing in real estate, before he moved to Chicago and began to build houses for rent.

In January 1889, Hobart was incorporated as a town with three trustees, a clerk-treasurer, a marshall, and a president. The first gravel road in Lake County was built from Lake Michigan to the south line of Hobart Township. More roads followed and in 1900 Hobart was appointed the first rural free delivery in the Middle West. The first city government in Hobart was organized in 1931, with a mayor, clerk-treasurer, city attorney, city engineer, and seven councilmen.

Hobart has been known for its production of brick, cotton, and pottery throughout the years. For many years Hobart’s largest industry was W.B. Owen’s Hollow Porous Clay Tile Works, which were established in 1886. At one time its kilns covered thirty-five acres and the daily capacity of the works was 70 tons of finished product. The Kulage Brick Works also represents a large industry which was established just before the turn of the century and continued to prosper for many years. Toward the end of the Civil War, Hon. W.H. Rifenburg established a lumber yard, planning mill, and contractor’s supply house at Hobart.

Box Folder Description
1 1 Historical Information, Hobart, Indiana, 1980, n.d.
2 Pamphlets, (2), "History of Hobart for Third Grade Pupils” compiled by Maran White, 2001, n.d.
3 Booklet, “A Short History of Hobart”,compiled by Miriam J. Pleak, n.d.
4 Booklet, Hobart History: Time Traveling Tales (Tails)!, n.d.
5 Booklet, Hobart Coloring Book, Hobart City Improvement Committee, n.d.
6 City Directories, Hobart, 1940, 1952, 1956
7 Profile of a Northern Indiana Community, Hobart, 1961
8 Community Analyses, Hobart, 1971, 1992
9 Pamphlet, “Downtown Hobart Walking Tour”, n.d.
1 10 Booklet, George Earle and Family of Hobart, Indiana by Dorothy Ballantyne, 1972
11 Historical information, Earle’s Retreat, Falmouth, England, 1997
12 Pamphlets, Old Settlers Cemetery, 1976
13 Excerpt, Wartime Diary of Laverne W. Johnson, 1945
14 Booklet, Growing Up in Hobart, 1994
15 Booklet, Hobart Memories, 1996
16 Booklet, The Nine Day Wonder and the One-Month Doodlebug, by Elin B. Christianson, 2001
17 Abstracts of Title, Lot 3, Block 1, Willowdale Subdivision, Hobart, 1832-1929; Lot 10, Block 4, Earle and Davis’ Addition to the Town of Hobart, 1836-1909
18 Report, Comprehensive Plan for Hobart, Indiana prepared by Purdue-Calumet Development Foundation, 1958
19 Pamphlet, “Horizons for Hobart: An Analysis of Hobart’s Proposed Master Plan for Future Land Use”, prepared by Hobart Branch, American Association of University Women, 1975
1 20 Typescript, City of Hobart Subdivision Ordinance, n.d.
21 Booklet, Along the Route, History of Hobart, Indiana Post Offices and Postmasters, by Dorothy Ballantyne and Robert Adams, 1979
22 Pamphlets, Hobart Chamber of Commerce, (1967-1987)
23 Newsletters, Hobart Chamber of Commerce, (1973-1979)
24 Booklet, Hobart Heritage, Hobart Chamber of Commerce, 2003
25 Booklet, Central Baptist Church, 1909-1984, Seventy- Fifth Anniversary, 1984
26 Anniversary Book(centennial), St. Bridget Church, 1974
1 27 Booklets, Trinity Lutheran Church, (1963-1980)
28 Newsletters, Hobart History News, (1981-1992)
29 Newsletter, Hobart Action for Nuclear Disarmament, 1984
30 Souvenir program (photocopy), Hobart Volunteer Firemen’s Golden Jubilee, 1943
31 Programs/Pamphlets, Hobart Centennial, 1947;
Sesquicentennial, 1997
32 Calendar, Hobart Sesquicentennial, School City of
Hobart, 1996-1997
33 Programs, Fourth of July Parade, Hobart, 1982,1994
34 Campaign Materials, Hobart Elections, n.d.
35 Program, River Forest Junior High School, 1959
36 Program, “A Gift of Culture” from the Hobart Township Bilingual Program, April 19, 1984
37 Newsarticles, Hobart, 1955 -
38 Newsarticle, “Liverpool Was First County Seat for Lake”, Post-Tribune, August 28, 1954
39 Newsarticles, Hobart Chamber of Commerce, 1974,
40 Newsarticle, “Locals recall mob pal’s Hobart home”, The Times, March 31, 1996
41 Book, Growing up in Hobart: The Class of 1965, Howard L. Oaf and Sherry Oswald Peterson, 2009
42 Booklet, 4th of July Memory Book, Hobart Chamber of Commerce, 2011, 2014
43 Program, Rust Pipes 30th Anniversary Program, April 29, 2012
46 Slide, (1), Unitarian Church, Hobart, n.d.
58 Map, (1), Hobart, 1971

Oversize (Auxiliary Storage)
Newspapers, Progress 1999, Hobart Gazette, February 26, 1999

Subject Tracings
  • Armed forces
  • Cemeteries
  • Central Baptist Church (Hobart)
  • Churches, Hobart
  • City planning -- Hobart
  • Demographic surveys
  • Earle, George
  • Hobart, Indiana
  • Hobart Chamber of Commerce
  • Hobart -- Politics and government
  • Liverpool
  • McAfee, Warren B.
  • Parades
  • Politicians
  • River Forest Junior High School
  • St. Bridget Church (Hobart)
  • Schools, Hobart
  • Tornadoes
  • Trinity Lutheran Church (Hobart)
  • Unitarian Church of Hobart
  • World War II